Technology for mobile app development is broadening its spectrum day by day. On elaborating, we see flutter and react native in the spotlight. Both frameworks and SDKs (software development kit) are used to develop iOS and Android applications for cross-platforms. Both have notable features and competitive advantages which make them a worthy choice for mobile app development.
The renowned companies that use Flutter for app development include Alibaba, Google, eBay, Square and SONOS, etc. Talking about React Native some renowned applications developed using it embrace Instagram, Skype, Pinterest, Tesla and Bloomberg etc.
But here we would like to articulate the potential merits of both these technologies and then have a verdict which one to choose?
Let’s begin with it.
- An open-source software development kit to develop mobile apps with a solo codebase.
- It is created by Google, got first released in May 2017, and operates in Dart programming language.
- Mobile apps function adequately on cross-platforms holding their native components with a far smoother scrolling than React Native.
- Flutter contains layout widgets like GestureDetector, Inkwell, and DefaultTabController that can be used for multiple purposes – from boasting impressive elements such as rich motion APIs, iOS-flavor widgets and built-in material design and a lot more.
- Moreover, it also reinforces the Hot reload feature which has the capacity to rerun applications conforming the adjustments taking place in the development process.
- Flutter is providing numerous base packages which are available for public access. There are more than 1450 Flutter packages ready to use.
- Flutter’s documentation is a bit difficult to comprehend. But if the developer has a grip on this process then it doesn’t seem a problem anymore.
- In terms of performance, it is not similar to React Native even with Native Script. Flutter is a step ahead and leading comparative to React Native. Its performing language Dart, which leaves no reason to suspect the performance. Further to this, Flutter’s application compilation uses C/C++ library, quite near to machine language shows sound performance.
- Its major architecture is Business Logic Component (BLoC) created by Google in DartConf 2018. The BLoC pattern is dependent on Streams and Reactive Dart. Since, the flutter is not mature enough and new to adapt its architecture for the application implementation. Mobile app developers question its ingenuity and then it is recommended to have the alternative option in the bucket.
- The competitive edge of flutter is that it enables application development at a very fast rate. Developers on doing variations to the codebase could get spontaneous results in applications. It is known as the Hot reload feature. Additionally, one codebase is used for developing two same applications with similar testing shadowing both iOS and Android mediums. Applications operate without any friction and are more responsive.
- Flutter is not dependent on native components. The prominent feature whereby it surpasses React Native is easy to use UI which substantiates visual elements. It also vanishes the worries of running applications on older models of Android and iOS as the app easily operates on previous versions as well. Flutter seems the option not to be avoided if you aim to build a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) for your application.
- Considering the user interface, React Native has to rely on third-party libraries to create custom user interfaces because it lacks its own UI component library.
- React Native uses its components and also possesses the widgets that are not great in number as Flutter has. The process React Native is not complicated, just install the create the react-nature package and start working on the application. It also provides Expo integration.
- React Native packages are 5 times greater in number in comparison with Flutter packages. So, it is leading and more reliable and has a stable framework as compared to Flutter.
- React Native’s documentation guides and helps the user thoroughly and appropriately by answering how to use props and modules for cross-platform app development.
- Data flow is having one direction only. Observing the complicated nature of the applications redux and flux are preferable and widely used.
- React Native entails a novel feature known as ‘ast refresh’ to amalgamate swift and hot reloading. It inhibits errors and provides an enriching experience to developers.
- React Native possesses countless developers, its tools and technologies make it a worthy choice. It is also easy to learn with no prerequisite of learning new tools and libraries.
Looking at the trend, Flutter and React Native are being used by almost every mobile app development company. In a comparison of both these frameworks and toolkits, we come to know that these tools have their own noteworthy advantages but React Native keeping in view some latest features is ruling.